B

B

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Bernie Sanders Nails Jimmy Kimmel Live Interview


Above is an excerpt of Sanders's interview on Kimmel Live from last night. I found this excerpt in an article called Bernie Sanders dodges question on whether he believes in God on Raw Story. I thought he did a great job of answering Kimmel's questions clearly and sincerely, including the 'God' question. 

The fact that he is leading Trump in national polls as opposed to Hillary is telling. Trump would absolutely zone in on Hillary's email scandal and the fact that she accepts money from lobbyists(including himself) if he and Hillary are the Democratic and Republican nominees.  I think he would destroy her in the election.

But since we don't know if Trump will be the Republican nominee it is useless to speculate further. Just today I read an article called The Trump Poll Numbers Lie which explained why Trump won't be the GOP nominee.

Bernie, on the other hand, while still trailing Clinton in the democratic race is cutting down her lead all the time. It's great to see him get media exposure on the likes of Kimmel as well. The more people who hear his message the better is his chances of winning. I can only speak for myself but unless you are in the top 1% of the wealthiest people in America I can't see why you wouldn't vote for him.

But to get back to the 'God' question, I'm glad he didn't answer yes or no. You don't need to believe in God to know that morality and kindness make the world a better place. He nailed the answer.

"I am who I am, and what I believe in and what my spirituality is about is that we're all in this together. I think it is not a good thing to believe as human beings we can turn our backs on the suffering of other people," said Sanders. "And this is not Judaism. This is what Pope Francis is talking about, that we cannot worship just billionaires and the making of more and more money. Life is more than that." 
"Essentially what I think is, we do best as human beings, we fulfill our lives, when we work together rather than say, 'Hey, I want it all, and I don't care about the hungry kid down the street,'" said Sanders. "I don't think that's what America should be about."
If he answered that he believed in God then he would have been tied to Judaism and classified in a certain way. That is not what spirituality is. Spirituality is universal. It is not based on some religion. People insist on classifying, defining, and opposing. That is just not spirituality and why I am not religious myself.

Far as I'm concerned religion only serves to divide and cause conflict. I'm sorry if you are religious, but that is just my view. Sanders himself is not particularly religious although he comes from a Jewish background. I come from a Christian background, but I am not particularly religious.

It's the same with politics. Sanders is an independent politician but is running for president as a Democrat for good reasons. Why identify as a Democrat or a Republican? What is with this need to identify and oppose? Can't we all just be human and realize that we are in this together as opposed to always choosing sides and opposing?

So far humans have opposed and worked against each other. That is why America and the world are in the state it's in. That is why we are destroying each other and the planet. We need more leaders like Sanders if we are going to survive and prosper. Hopefully, he becomes the US president. Not only to save America but to help save the world.

America is the leading country in the world and needs to set an example. With Sanders as president it will.

No comments:

Post a Comment